Thursday, July 5, 2012

IFR GPS update


Continuing my pursuit of an IFR (instrument flight rules) rating, see previous postings to catch up on this pursuit.  This training will increase the safety factor for my mission to St. Croix and the Final Fixit project.  It will also lay the ground work for future missions.  
Cards for GPS and MFD

In order to continue my IFR instruction in the Six, I need to keep her GPS up-to-date.  That requires me to keep the data cards up dated with Charts and Approaches. This is so critical when you are flying IFR as you have to depend on your instruments to get you from point A to point B safely.  I have a GX 60 Apollo unit.  It is older (as avionics go) but still rock solid.  It is very expensive to upgrade so I will continue to use it as long as its reliable. It is however getting so the only place you can get regular updates for this GPS is through Jeppesen online.  In order to take advantage of this service, I have to acquire a 3 in1 adaptor that will fit into a PC computer.  I looked on line and eventually contacted Jeppesen.com online support.  After a lengthy "chat" with Jake, I was able to acquire the adaptor and update service for my GPS and MX20 mfd, for Eastern North America.  The adaptor was $100, the GPS service every 56 days for a year was $410, and the one time update for my MFD was $70 (I figured it need to be updated as the last update for the MX20 was in 2003).   They will have to send me the adaptor before I can get the updates… it's a holiday week so I will have to be patient, meanwhile, Happy Fourth of July!

    As always, thanks for your support and we will continue this adventure together!  Bye for now, Robin.

No comments:

Post a Comment