Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Virginia Tech, Garmin's app, Treadmill Dog


Still working on setting the final route for the flight to St. Croix for the Fixit Project.  This will have to be planned carefully.  The first leg will be from Hampton Roads to Ft. Lauderdale.  This will not be so critical as there are plenty of places to stop.  On the second leg it will be more important to pick out the best destinations for a fuel stop.  Tentatively I will be stopping in the Caicos Islands for a midway fill up.  This will be about 4 hours into the final leg.  Will continue to investigate!

The Virginia Tech Campus from 1000 feet!

Flew up to Virginia Tech this weekend it is good to keep my flying skills up.  I saw my son Chris at the Vet School.  He is in "clinics" and will be graduating in May of 2013.  I am naturally very proud of him.  It was great to see him and I look forward to seeing him as a full fledged Doctor.  While I was there we went out to the local Macado's sandwich shop for a meal.  It was great catching up with him and his girlfriend Ellie.  Ellie is a third year student who is currently doing research on type II diabetes as a summer project.  I think she will make the veterinary profession very proud, and I look forward to great things from her (and Chris)! 

Tested out Garmin's App for the iPad pilot.  There were a few things that are driving me crazy.  I am not sure if it is because I am not very familiar with how it works or if it is the app itself.  One of the things that I felt was very annoying was that the screen turned off every couple of minutes.  Now I know that there is a way to turn off the setting but the Foreflight app turned it off automatically.  It is very hard to make the adjustment happen in the airplane while it's bouncing around in the air.  My fingers are a little on the fat side and that makes it even harder to hit the right area of the iPad.  I also could not call up the frequencies for the airport of destination and that was down right frustrating!  I did not find it very intuitive.  By the was do NOT wear polarized sunglasses with the iPad as you will not be able to see the screen.  I don't think this is going to be the one for me!

We have been having a great time at the hospital teaching our Doggie Day Care dogs to walk on a treadmill.  I was not sure that it was going to be possible but my son Mark has been working with several members and really has a "nack" for making it happen.  He seems to have a real connection with the animal world so it did not surprise me.  I have included a short video for any of you that doubt that it can be done.

Back to work, it's surgery day today.  I am looking forward to the challenging cases!  As always, thanks for your support.  Bye for now, Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment